Urban Agriculture SEED Program Assistant
A University of Wisconsin (UW) Temp Position
Tentative timeline: (April 15 – August 31, 2016) 20 hrs/ week on average (Flexibility in hours is possible)
Purpose: To support further development of the UW-Extension Milwaukee County SEED (Sowing, Empowering, Eliminating Food Deserts) Initiative – launching 7-9 new community garden sites in 2016. This position will assist the SEED Program Coordinator with coordinating the logistics of creating these new community gardens, helping facilitate the sourcing of garden infrastructure materials, coordinating resources from community partners and local businesses, and helping recruit and register gardeners for plots.
The program assistant will assist the SEED Program Coordinator with the integration of the SEED community advisory board and the educational programming at the SEED garden sites.
- Assist with coordinating the logistics of launching (7-9) SEED community gardens – sourcing materials, organizing build days, registering and recruiting gardeners, etc.
- Provide support to the community leadership teams for each SEED community garden
- Work directly with SEED Program Coordinator in recording impacts of the SEED initiative – create news updates and photo documentation to be shared with community partners, potential funders and the general public via a SEED webpage and Facebook page.
- Meet with SEED Program Coordinator, community and economic development staff, and other UWEX Milwaukee County colleagues to plan local food entrepreneurship, food literacy and nutrition classes/ events at the SEED garden sites
- Experience and knowledge of community gardens and growing food
- Experience and passion for working with diverse audiences
- Experience of demonstrating good organizational skills
- Good collaboration and communication skills; a team player
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends
- Ability to work on garden infrastructure and maintenance projects
- Access to reliable transportation
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- College experience
Office Location: UWEX Milwaukee County Office — 9501 Watertown Plank Road, Building A, Wauwatosa, WI.
Salary: $10 per hour; no benefits
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and 2-3 references to Ryan Schone (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 5th
University of Wisconsin, U.S. Department of Agriculture and Wisconsin counties cooperating. An EEO/AA employer, University of Wisconsin Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title IX and American with Disabilities (ADA) requirements.